Potato in curry is one of my favourite things in the world. So the first time I had spinach and potato curry roti, my mind was absolutely blown.
Anyway, this is a great spicy lunch for a super cold day.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 medium yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and chopped into roughly 1″ cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons or so Jamaican-style curry powder (I use Irie brand)
- 1 can coconut milk (buy the one with the highest percentage of actual coconut in it)
- 1 package frozen spinach (300g), defrosted and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and/or fish sauce to taste
- Hot peppers to taste
- Flour tortillas. The big ones, not the 6-inch ones
Let’s do it!
- In a medium sized soup pot, heat up the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and curry powder and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes and let them fry on the bottom of the pan. Stirring once in a while, maybe cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and stir. Bring this to simmer and cover.
- I like my potatoes really soft, so I simmered this for about half an hour.
- When the potatoes are cooked through, add the frozen spinach and stir to combine.
- Once that’s all nice and simmering again, add salt or fish sauce to taste. Personally, I think fish sauce and curry are a winning combination, but not all of us like fish sauce. So you may have salt.
- Add more curry powder if you think it needs it. I love a ton of spice.
- At this point, I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of my homemade “hot sauce”, which is actually just fresh red chilli peppers, garlic, salt and vinegar blended. It’s crazy hot and doesn’t really change the flavour of anything. It just adds heat.
- Add the frozen peas, stir to combine. Turn off the stove and cover. Nothing worse than overcooked peas.