Fluffy potatoes, stewy stuff, what’s not to love?
Note, I use real butter in this recipe, but it’s easy to substitute with vegan margarine.
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- about 10 mushrooms, chopped small (I used white button mushrooms)
- 1 can brown lentils, drained
- 4 red skinned potatoes
- 1/4 cup or so vegan cheese, shredded
- soy milk
Let’s do it!
- Scrub the potatoes, pierce them and put them in a microwavable dish with some water in it. Microwave them until they’re cooked (all microwaves are different, mine took about 14 minutes). If you don’t like microwaves, you can boil them, too. Or roast them, but that takes FOREVER.
- Mash them up, adding butter, soy milk and salt until you reach a creamy, easily spreadable consistency.
- Mix in vegan cheese.
- In a pot, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion, stir until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and stir until it looks cooked.
- Add lentils and cook until the flavours have melded well.
- Add salt to taste.
Put it together:
- Put the filling in a high casserole dish (mine was about 12″ x 7″ and 4″ high). Spread flat.
- Top with potatoes and spread flat.
- Place in the oven on a high broil and watch it until it turns golden brown. I wouldn’t walking away, as you don’t want to burn the thing.
- Let cool a bit before handling.
Lunch it up!
Put it in the fridge overnight and slice it up into portions the next day when it’s cold and sticks together better. I suppose you could serve this with a salad, but I just brought about 3 servings with me to eat throughout the day at work. Wheee!!